Meeting Minutes 3/2/2018

9:00 – 10:30

Student Life Conference Room


Governing Core Members present: Deanne Roquet, Tim Leudke, Kristi Heintz, Marissa Berger, Danielle Wood, Mike Francisco, Connie Moore, Nate Bronk, Theresa Hornstein, Heather Grillo

General Members present:

Guest Present: Chris Whaley



The Twin Ports-Campus Sustainability Network (TP-CSN) is hosting a collaborative student gathering: S’Mores and Sustainability Social @ Bagley today from 2:00-4:00.  Kristi has shared the meeting via ours and LSC’s facebook page and Chris hung posters.

Weed Em Out: Invasives Workshop an invasive plants early detection workshop– March 27th, 9am-3:00, EPA

Duluth CISMA Stewardship Network – introductory conversation for local colleges and universities (March 7th from 11:00-noon and 14th from 10:00-11) at the City of Duluth.  Glenn and Kristi are tag-teaming this effort.


New Business

Theresa provided her insight on last week’s discussion with Dan Schutte from Shorview Natives regarding our S-building landscape discussion.  Theresa’s remarks were very positive and supportive of Dan’s vision and plan for the area.  Danielle also attended the discussion and agreed with Theresa’s sentiment.  Kristi shared the Shoreview project area on the map, noting this planting would replace the 2 main areas in front of the S-building that are now “wildflower” and where manual weeding has become almost impossible over the last 2 growing seasons.  Kristi received a work estimate  and shared that Dan suggested we split our transition of the area into 2 seasons, and also noted the cost of project install could be reduced by $700 if we can muster volunteer labor for planting in late spring/summer.  Based on the estimate (for half of our overall designated transition space), Deanne motioned we move ahead with the plan (based on Dan’s estimate of about $2,900) and work to get volunteers involved in planting.  Connie second the motion, all favored.


Kristi gave an update on this year’s LSC Earth Day (April 19th) presentation with Shawna Weaver from Ethical Choices Program.  Kristi and Jenna worked out a theme: “Food for Thought: The ecological and ethical impact of your everyday decisions”.

  • Deanne, Danielle, Kristi and Connie have been working on some food options. Deanne brought an Evol burrito to sample, and noted we need to be careful to offer ecologically healthy food options.  Kristi thought perhaps this could mean offering only vegetarian food options and asking student to provide feedback on what they’d like to see in the Café.  Connie liked this idea, as they are working to increase offerings in the fall, and this could help inform that decision.  Kristi will work with the Upper Lakes Rep and find some meat-free options (frozen burritos, hummus…).  Student Life (per Heather) is willing to pay for snacks, sides for the burrito, tortilla chips, popcorn, trail mix and cuties.   The Café (per Connie) will donate lemonade and water, the Council will provide compostable cups.  The Council agreed if Upper Lakes did not want to donate samples, the Council would cover up to $500 of main food and eatware.  Mike motioned on the amount, Theresa seconded, motion passed without disagreement.
  • Heather suggested we create a separate poster for campus clean-up if we want it to get more attention. The Council discussed “incentive” and Heather noted we could maybe offer prizes for best clean-up effort.  Heather has all of the supplies, Mike and Tim agreed to help direct the clean-up efforts on the 19th.


Garden/Grounds planning

  • The south hillside tree sapling planting is scheduled for May 4th. Mike suggested we offer a couple of days, perhaps the 3rd as well.  There will also be opportunity to help with site prep.  Kristi asked ERTC if they’d be willing to try to burn the site before May 4th; she hasn’t received a response from Joe Tribby.  Kristi asked if we might use coffee sacks to surround the saplings after planting, Nate will check with Duluth Coffee Company to see if they might donate used burlap sacks.
  • Theresa and Kristi shared a new Garden Club/Sustainability Council partnership they have been discussing. Noting the oscillating student interest in summer garden maintenance, Kristi wondered if an employee/student mentorship might be a way to keep interest and accountability going.  Danielle did a lot of work in the fall to clear the overgrowth inside the garden area.  The Council agreed it’s worth a try.  Kristi will put together a blog post and share via the Newsplash and offer 3 raised beds on a first request basis.  Tim Larson and a student have shown interest in the hugal bed area, so they may take that area on this season.
  • Boreal Natives provided an estimate for site maintenance (and prescribed burn). $700 would cover the 3 areas that have been seeded since 2014.  The map below was provided by Boreal, and Kristi will work with them to correct the misrepresented area along the southern-most roadway.  Kristi asked ERTC if they might be able to burn these areas this fall, she has not received a response from Joe.  Noting this, Mike motioned we go ahead with the prescribed maintence per Borea’s quote and Kristi’s changes, Nate seconded, unopposed.


We are hiring a summer groundskeeping and trails manger student employee, as Danielle’s availability may be limited.  The position is posted on the LSC employment page.


Old Business

Nate gave an update on the LSC to Piedmont bikeways discussion we had with James Gittemeier from Met Interstate Council.  Brain Bich, Dave Israel, Jeremy Roseth, Joshua Tesch, Nate, Chris, and Kristi all attended this meeting.  James was very appreciative of our input and will get back in touch with us after he’s had a chance to review the suggestions we had.  Brian and Dave both offered to give James a tour of those prospective connections any time.


Work Group and Student Employee Reports

GreenCorps project(s) update:

  • Chris gave an update on the three types of power strips we purchased.  Tim has also been using a few and will expand the “test” scenario next week.  Kristi has been using the Belkin brand strip with a timer and desktop button, and this one seems the most appropriate for workspaces.  Anyone that has completed the Green Office survey can request a strip to use from Chris and offer their feedback.  We’ll share all of the information we gather with IT.
  • Chris again request that each Council member to urge their department to participate in the Green Office Challenge if they haven’t already.



FY 18 budget balance: $6,771.00

Encumbrances to date:

  • Amazon (smart strips): $275
  • Amazon (pruners, compost bags for campus): $87.67
  • RSPT annual membership: $330
  • Menards: -300
    • Atrium soil, potting soil, landscape tools
  • Mileage reimbursement: MPCA site supervisor training: -160.50
  • Mileage B3 luncheon: -167.99
  • B3 luncheon registration: -27.37
  • AASHE annual membership: -280
  • Print/postage: -36.47


Review/revise FY18 potential budget items

  • Smart strips
  • Energy-related requests/ideas?
  • Bottle filling station for Atrium?
  • Picnic table under H catwalk, or Student Life area?
  • Interpretive Trail bench, trash/recycling cans, exclosures
  • Sustainability kiosk: pamphlet holder, plastic bag bin
  • workshops?


Next Meeting

Friday, April 6th, 9:00

Minutes respectfully submitted by Kristi Heintz, 3/5/2018.  Posted to LSC Sustainability Council Blog and Employee Portal Committees page.

Posted in: Minutes

Leave a Comment (0) ↓

Leave a Comment