Meeting Minutes 10-2-2015

10:00 – 11:30

Student Life Conference Room


Governing Council Members present: Nate Bronk, Mike Francisco, Theresa Hornstein, Jane Marynik, Dick Haney, Cliff Koski

General Members present: Deanne Roquet, Kristi Heintz

Guest Present: Dave Israel, James Eisenhauer




New Business

Kristi shared plans for the new stormwater BMP project with SWCD. This project is an $8,000 Clean Water Legacy grant funded project. All costs will be covered by the grant. It will be a continuation of the Legacy Garden native planted area. The Council will develop the area further in the spring with trees and benches.


James attended to share information he has regarding potential COGGS bike trail or Superior Hiking Trail connectors to campus. Dick shared the city-wide context and significance for a trail like this one, and also shared the thoughtful design capability of the COGGS crew. James has invited some city trails representatives to tour the campus and talk more about route opportunities and cost estimates. This could potentially be a Student Senate or grant funded project. James will follow up with us and let us know when the on-side meeting will take place.


Theresa shared a discussion she had with a LSC Foundation chairperson, Judy Richards. They both felt like sustainability focused scholarship could be a potential addition to the Foundation portfolio. Theresa solicited general feedback; all felt it was an excellent opportunity to pursue with various funding options discussed. Theresa will follow up the Foundation.


Kristi, through a major paper written last semester, reached out to Brett Pence at Ecolibrium 3 a few months ago to discuss opportunity to host Community Solar Garden at LSC. Brett recently contacted Kristi and would like to establish an intent for LSC to partner on a number of proposals that may be coming up in the near future. Feedback from the Council on a project like this was overall very positive. Kristi will pass some general CSG information to Wade, Al, and Gary, then arrange a meeting between them and Brett soon.


Dave Israel shared that it would be nice to have some protected seating areas outside. The Council discussed developing the area adjacent to the exit on the H-building side of the E building (where new mulch was laid this summer). Benches, picnic tables, and shrubs would be a nice addition to that space.


Going into fall, Kristi and the SC student employee are discussion potential tasks/project ideas. Mel may continue to work on composting outreach, but will also be designing a strategy to reduce paper towel use in restrooms. Cliff mentioned his students identified quite a few buckthorn stands while surveying. Kristi shared the work an Eagle Scout project just completed, and suggested Aaron continue to work on that project, maybe with the help of Cliff’s survey course. Jane will continue to work on our Tree Campus USA application and plan for new spring wildflower planting ideas. If SC members have additional ideas, send them to Kristi.


Kristi very briefly shared that she’s been contacted by both Sierra Club and Save the Boundary Waters regarding potential student engagement opportunities. She asked for feedback regarding the best way to involve these groups and get students interested in the agendas. Ideas included inviting them to relevant classes and/or Earth Day activities. If anyone has additional ideas, contact Kristi.


Ongoing Business



Old Business

Kristi gave an AASHE conference registration update. She and Deanne are traveling to the conference with SC funding, Jane and Aaron are traveling through Student Life. They’ll all give a riveting report of the conference at November’s meeting.


Work Group and Student Employee Reports

Policy and Procedure: employee reminders, education, and training needs (printing, recycling, supplies, computers, small appliance)

Carol, Kristi, Mel, Wade

Sustainability Reporting/Benchmarking: GGI, ACUPCC, MnSCU Sustainability Reporting, Superior Compact, B3, publicizing info

*Kristi, Deanne, Bruce

Grants and Awards: Pre-grant drafts and collaboration with grant office on potential opportunities

                *Deanne, Kristi, Wade

Landscape Planning: annual flower planting, rainwater harvesting, no-mow areas, rooftop gardening

*Kristi, Mike, Aaron, Theresa, maintenance rep, Wade

Sustainability in Curriculum

*Theresa, Kristi, Deanne, Glenn

-updates from Mel and Jane

-Garden Club update



Mike motioned to purchase trail supplies requested by Aaron: fence post, cedar posts, flagging tape. Deanne seconded, motion passed unopposed.


FY16 Budget: $8,400

Encumbrances to date:

  • Boreal Natives (fall maintenance): -$348.68
  • Human Svs Dept (plastic bag removal-annual): -$280
  • AASHE travel (hotel for 2): -$601.58
  • AASHE registration for 2: -$575
  • Encumbered supplies (Dan’s, Shopko, Home Depot, Menards): -$700

BALANCE as of today: $5,895.59


FY15-16 potential budget items

  • AASHE travel reimbursement
  • Benches, picnic table for new SWCD swale and adjacent to E-building north exit (newly mulched area).
  • Educational signage
  • Ditch/swale/raingarden info signs
  • Additional bike rack for main entrance?
  • Interpretive Trail bench, trash/recycling cans, exclosures
  • Sustainability kiosk
  • MnSCU Sustainability Across Curriculum workshop


Meeting adjourned 11:15

Next Meeting

November 2, 2015

Notes submitted to SC blog and LSC Employee Portal>Committees by Kristi Heintz

Posted in: Minutes

Leave a Comment (0) ↓

Leave a Comment