Meeting Minutes 9/2/2011

10:00 Student Life Conference Room

Faculty/Staff members present: Megan Bugge, Mike Francisco, Deanne Roquet, Kristi Heintz
Student members present:  Anna Bealieu

UMACS is September 23rd at U of M Morris.  Early registration deadline is September 9th, email Kristi if you’d like to attend.  Kristi has also invited Student Senate members to attend.  Registration for students is $30 each and I’ve offered for the EC to pay for as many registrations as they can fit into one male and one female hotel room.  I’ve offered to pay their hotel cost and travel as well.  An email vote will be taken for the opportunity to voice opposition.
Student Success Day Kristi signed us up for a table.  We will also be showing a documentary titled “The Early Adopters Project” in the student lounge at 10:00 and 2:30 so we will have an info table near the lounge from 10:00-3:00.  Kristi will send an email asking for volunteers to staff the table.  Kristi is also doing a session titled “Experience Your Campus’ Eco Efforts” at 9:00.  The session will tour the campus and grounds highlighting various projects such as recycling and composting.  The second half of the 2-hour session will include a disk golf course clean-up in collaboration with Student Senate.
SPA hard copy has been given to Student Senate.  They will keep it with other campus plans and make it available to anyone that wants to see it.
Plastic Bag Recycling  Since the first bag receptacle was put out in May, we’ve collected over 15 large trash bags full of plastic.  Kevin and Theresa took the first bags to multiple recycling collection sites and we have now arranged to have Airpark Services pick up full bags every other Friday.  The EC is responsible for paying for this service which costs $4.00 per pick up.

Sub-Committee Reports
None to report

New Business
Committee Information Worksheet requested by Emily on behalf of President Johns.  The information they requested includes member union affiliations, representative nomination structure, and a statement of committee roles and responsibilities.  Input on the final item was collected at the meeting and Kristi and Deanne will put together a statement and submit it to Emily by noon today.
AASHE designated contacts  As a member of AASHE, many opportunities and resources are communicated via email.  Currently, only EC representatives receive emails and we feel this membership could be better utilized if other individuals on campus received these informational emails.  Kristi will include Student Senate, the Business Office, and Maintenance to the list of contacts at our institution.

Old Business
Kristi’s Certificate in Sustainability The second half of Kristi’s Certificate training starts September 29th.  She is again asking for $550 to supplement the $800 Professional Development funds to cover the cost of registration.  Kristi will send out an email asking for approval to fund this coursework.
Living Green Meeting will be held at the DEEP Office on September 19th.   Kristi will attend the meeting and offer LSC as a host site but will not take a large role in planning the event.  Kristi will check with Kathy in the Business Office to find out how much we need to charge if we co-sponsor the event, if anything, to use the facility.  A suggestion was made to possibly schedule the event along with the Rain Barrel sale on the opposite years of the Watershed Festival.  Kristi will bring this suggestion to the meeting.

Budget Report
EC balance YTD:

Date    Item    (-)    Balance
7/1/2011    Beginning FY12 Balance        $ 5000
8/8/2011    Minnesota Waste Wise Membership    $150
8/9/2011    Airpark Services for FY12 plastic bag pick-up    $208

A quorum was not met for this meeting, therefore Kristi will send an email to all EC members asking for vote on items needing approval.
Next meeting
Kristi will send out an email asking for input on this year’s meeting time.  Wednesday mornings at 10:00 was suggested as an alternative.

Addendum to Meeting Minutes
Related to: Follow-up email on above mentioned items
Item 1 Members asked to vote via email to fund Kristi’s Sustainability Leadership Certificate
  “ I am, once again, asking the Council to support me in my quest to earn a Sustainability Leadership Certificate, by partially funding my course work for FY12.  The last 3 classes have gone really well, and I have a lot of new tricks and info to help us move forward…if only the Certificate could MAKE time.  I did receive $800 in staff development funding again this year, so I’m again asking for $550.  This will be the last 3 sessions I’ll need to participate in to complete the Certificate.  We didn’t have a quorum at the meeting, so we’ll have to vote by email…ready, go.”
Yea: 7
Nay: 0

Item 2 Members asked to reply with intent to go to UMACS
“Upper Midwest Association for Campus Sustainability conference is in Morris this year.  Here’s a link for UMACS for those of you unfamiliar.  Please respond by early tomorrow if you’d like to go, as early registration deadline is Friday (same goes for SS, Brian, thanks!).  I’ve also invited anyone from Student Senate to attend and have offered our funds to pay for their registration and 1 male and 1 female student room.  Please respond with an opposed vote if you disagree with this gesture.  I think it will be great to get individuals outside of our group involved, and UMACS is a fantastic conference for individuals with diverse interests.”
Responses to attend: 0
Regarding funding SS attendees:
Agree: 4
Disagree: 0
One response suggesting students try to get funding through Student Senate first.

Item 3 Members asked to volunteer to staff the Student Success Day table
“I have us down for an SS day table from 11-1:00 but we will be showing a documentary at 10:00 and 2:30 so we’ll plan to man our table during those times as well.  Any volunteers?  I’m doing a session from 9:00-11:00 as well, called “Experience Your Campus’ Eco Efforts” and we’re teaming with Student Senate to do a disk golf course clean-up for the second hour of the session.”
Volunteers: Theresa 10:00-1:00, Cliff 12:00-1:00, Kathy L, Dick, Glenn morning

Item 4 Members asked to give input on this year’s meeting time
“And last but not least, MEETING TIME for the semester…it seems like many of you may not be so keen on Friday mornings…how does everyone feel about Wednesday mornings from 9:00-11:00?  Kevin, I know this isn’t going to work for you, sorry.”
Meeting time suggested:  Cliff: Wednesday does not work, Fridays better. Carol: Wednesday mornings work. Kathy L.: Wednesday mornings work. Dick: Wednesday mornings work. Glenn: Tuesday or Thursday after 11:00 or on Friday morning, Patty: Wednesday or Friday at 9:00 work.  Kevin: FRIDAY MORNING (caps lock means he was SERIOUS)!!

Submitted by Kristi Heintz

Posted in: Minutes

Leave a Comment (0) ↓

Leave a Comment