Blog 7

” To find a topic for an exploratory paper or casual analysis, begin a sentence with why, how or what if and then finish it with drawing on what you may already know about an issue, trend, or problem”

I related to this quote because I have 2 very curious and adventurous toddlers who like to ask WHY? for everything. To me it is pretty amazing how they can ask such simple questions but yet they are so intricate and constantly stump me. When answering their why questions I like to respond by asking them what they already know about what they are asking so we can come to an answer together.

“If you have guts, look for a phenomenon that most people assume has been adequately explained”

I thought this was interesting because how many times do we just settle for an answer because it seems logical or someone has already decided that for us. I have a friend who is a culture changer and she is that way because she thinks out of the box and challenges things and situations with an attitude of “there is always another explanation”. I think we get stuck in the rut of just absorbing “truths” because its a lot harder to go against the grain and challenge the way we think and explain our rationale.

Ruszkiewicz, John J. “5.” How to Write Anything: A Guide and Reference. Boston: Bedford/St. Martin’s, 2015. N. pag. Print.