Rubrics

In the past couple of years, I have learned a bit about rubrics and even created a few, but I’ve always felt like an amateur tightrope walker—just getting across the wire but with no finesse. During my sabbatical, I want to really understand why rubrics are useful, how to create them, the theories behind them, and how to use them effectively.

For example, I have heard and read different things concerning rubrics and grading. I’ve seen presentations on rubrics that have said that rubrics should only have three categories (like competent, needs work, and does not meet standards) and should not be tied to a grade or to points. I have also seen excellent rubrics that use points and grading to break down as assignment for a student very clearly. I would like to understand the difference in these types of rubrics and how and why they might be used. I also want to learn to construct rubrics that help students see their work in new ways—not just to look at the grade but be able to understand their proficiency.

I plan to read two books to help with these ideas on rubrics: 

Introduction to Rubrics: An assessment tool to save grading time, convey effective feedback, and promote student learning. By Danelle D. Stevens and Antonia J. Levi from Portland State University.

A Complete Guide to Rubrics: Assessment Made Easy for Teachers, K-College by Audry M. Quinlan of Selon Hills University.

These books will be summarized as  I read them with posts on relevant and useful information. Then as I create rubrics, I will post my drafts and finished products here.