A Guide to LSC

Tanya Gaylord

Comp II

An LSC Guide

(What you need to know)

Starting college, whether it’s the first time or starting over again, can be a scary experience. The more you know going into a new situation, the better prepared you will be. The better prepared you are, the more relaxed you can be.  Starting a new school doesn’t have to be so daunting.  Use this simple guide of three common issues to help guide you through:

-making sure you receive your veteran’s benefits

-choosing the degree that is best for you

-preparing to transfer to a four year university


Making sure you receive your Veterans benefits. The Veteran Educational Coordinator

The veteran educational coordinator is your number one resource in helping you with all of your veterans needs. They will have access to many of the forms you will need to request and receive your benefits.  You can find them in the Veterans resource center located in the student services center.

*I know when I began getting my benefits in order I was thoroughly confused. Once I sat down with the Veteran Education Coordinator, she was able to sit down with me and go over everything I needed to know step by step.

There are two main types of veteran’s benefits you may receive while attending Lake Superior. First, you must be either 1) a current Minnesota National Guard Soldier, or 2) a Veteran. The two types of benefits are listed below:

·Montgomery GI Bill

ØThe GI Bill Is a monthly payment you will receive to help cover school expenses

ØYou will only receive the GI bill during the months you are actively attending school

ØThere are actually four different types of GI bills. It is important that you understand which GI Bill you are eligible for, so you can plan for the amount of money you will receive.  The Veterans coordinator at your school can assist you in verifying what GI Bill you will get

·Tuition Reimbursement

ØTuition Reimbursement is available to all soldiers and veterans enrolled in a state college

ØYou will receive %100 of tuition based on the U of M, which puts a little extra money in your pocket, because LSC is about one third of the cost.

ØThe money is yours to do with what you choose, however paying any money owed to LSC is your first priority

ØYou must receive a “C��? or better to receive reimbursement for your credits in that course.


How do I get my benefits?

If you are a current Guard member, you just need to contact your unit. They will supply you with the paperwork you need. If you are a Veteran, you will need to contact the Education Services Department through the state.

For tuition reimbursement – You will need to turn in paperwork at the beginning of each semester, letting the state know how many credits you are attempting so they can project the funding they will need. You will then need to turn in a request for payment, along with a copy of your grades at the end of the semester to receive your money.

For the GI Bill – You will need to make sure the school sends verification of your enrollment and number of credits. You will then need to go to the state National Guard website and self-verify enrollment after the first of every month you are in school. (w.a.v.e)




Choosing the degree that is best for you.

The Career Counselor

The career counselor at LSC is your best resource for the undecided student. They have a number of personality tests and a lot of knowledge to help you find a career that’s best for you. Once you have a career in mind, it may be easier for you to pick a degree. You can make an appointment with a career counselor at LSC through student services.

There are a number of two year programs at LSC; each one is specialized in its own way. After deciding on a career, your academic advisor will help you pick the degree that’s best suited for you.

MCT – Minnesota Transfer Curriculum. Is just a 40 credit goal in a variety of areas, to get you ready to transfer.

AA – Associate in Arts. This degree is about three-quarters focused in the liberal arts category and is best suited for students looking to transfer to a four year college.

AAS – Associates in Applied Science. This degree is a bit more focused on your chosen major, and less liberal arts.

AS – Associates in Science. This lessens your liberal arts classes to half of your focus.

Technical – This includes health, business, computer, and trade/industry programs that are specific to a technical career.

Once you have chosen your degree, the school will provide you with an outline of requirements you will need to complete the program.  You can keep up with your progress by checking your interactive degree audit report, which is available online through the e-services link on the LSC homepage (Lake Superior College).


How to ensure that you are making the right decision in choosing classes that will transfer to the four year University of your Choice.

School Counselor

Everyone at LSC is assigned to a counselor who is there to answer your school related questions and help you plan for your transfer.  The school counselor is a wealth of knowledge and is available (usually by appointment through student services) to help you through your years at LSC.

When I finally settled on a degree, I knew I wanted to transfer to UMD right away. I used there transfer guide to make sure I chose the right classes here at LSC.

Many people decide to get a two year degree at a local community college before transferring to a four year University. This is a great idea, and the best way to accomplish this is to follow the credit requirement guidelines for the two year degree of your choice.  However, just because a class may fulfill a degree requirement, or the Minnesota transfer curriculum, it does not mean that every institution will accept it as a transfer credit. Making sure every credit counts for you down the road will save you both time, and money.

-First you need to pick a four year college. Once you know where you are going, or at least narrowed it down, there are a number of resources you can use to check if LSCs courses are accepted at the school (or schools) you have chosen.

·The School advisor is there to answer questions like these and to help you plan your future.

·MN U-select is a website that can help you with course equivalent (U-Select).

·The University of Minnesota, U of M Duluth and St. Scholastica has transfer guides on their own websites as well.



These common issues can be a source of anxiety for many students. It doesn’t have to be this way. There are many quality resources listed here, using them will make life easier for you. School is hard enough, get through it the smartest way you can.









Works Cited

U.Select. 19 Feb. 2008. U. Select. 10 Jan 2009



W.A.V.E. 21 Dec. 2008. United States Department of Veteran Affairs. 10 Jan 2009



Lake Superior College 25 Nov. 2008. Minnesota State Colleges and Universities.