The Foreigner

A few years ago, as I stated in my “about me” comment, I was deployed to Iraq. Before reaching Iraq, we spent a few months in Kuwait adjusting to the weather, and wrapping up some training. My job, while I was there, was to escort busses of soldiers too and from training sites throughout the country. As I drove around Kuwait, I felt like I was in another world. There is not much in Kuwait. More sand than any one person needs too look at, and a sky that stretches for miles. We would drive for miles, and never see a single soul, only dead camels. It was eerie and I felt very, very out of place. Our base, was in the middle of nothing but pure desert. Although there were usually people around me, I felt like I was the only person in the middle of no where. It was uncomfortable and sometimes lonely. Although I have traveled quite a bit, and have felt out of place before, this was probably the most bizzarre experience I’ve had.  

Posted in: Uncategorized

Leave a Comment (3) ↓

3 Comments

1. Megan Schnepel January 23, 2009

I cant even imagine what that must have felt like. I dont think i could have handled that loneliness, especially being so far away from home.

reply
  2. Krystal Kunst January 27, 2009

Your blog “The Foreigner” was very interesting. I have a friend who’s dad is away in Irag and he’s at some base as well. That would be really hard to be away from friends and family and feel all alone. But it sounds like you have some pretty unique experiences in Kuwait.

reply
  3. dacampai January 30, 2009

i don’t think i could ever join the military or another kind of service. that must’ve been tough to see dead camels or been in a huge desert.

reply