Course Number, Title, and Credits: Math 0530, Math Foundations 3, 3 Credits
Hours Per Week___3___ Lecture__3___ Lab_____
Course Description: This is a self-paced, skill mastery developmental mathematics course. It is an individualized, computer-based learning experience which is an alternative delivery to the traditional developmental math sequence offered at Lake Superior College. The instructor will provide instruction, guidance, and monitor progress. MATH 500 Series 2 is a pre-requisite course to MATH 500 Series 3 where students are able to continue their individual developmental mathematical studies without repetition of previously mastered modules. Students must complete a minimum of four modules in modules 10 – 17 with 80% mastery to pass the course; however, students have the option of completing as many modules as needed in one semester.
Note that the modules consist of the Course Outcomes listed below.
- Students mastering modules 1 – 9 will have completed the equivalent of Math 0450 Pre-Algebra
- Students mastering modules 1 – 13 will have completed the equivalent of Math 0460 Algebra 1
- Students mastering modules 1 – 17 will have completed the equivalent of Math 0470 Algebra 2
If students in the 500 series choose to register in the traditional developmental math sequence, the completion of module equivalents or a new Accuplacer score (at student cost) will determine their placement.
Grading Method: A-F
Prerequisites: Passing grade in MATH 0520 – MATH 500 Series 2
Course Outcomes (Modules):
The student will be able to master at least 4 modules in:
10. Graphing linear equations (Algebra I Equivalent, Mods 10 – 13)
11. Systems of Equations
12. Polynomials and exponents
13. Factoring polynomials and solving
14. Rational expressions
16. Radical expressions and functions
17. Quadratic functions and equations
College-Wide Outcomes: Intellectual and Practical Skills
- Competencies Addressed: Synthesis and application