What is VidGrid?
VidGrid is an online video recording and streaming service purchased by Lake Superior College. Everyone (faculty, staff, and students) at LSC have access to the product to:
- Create videos to embed in our D2L Brightspace (LMS)
- Create quick videos to communicate
- Upload and host existing video content
- Share videos
- Request recorded videos (up to 30 minutes) to be captioned for LSC use
Where can I get a VidGrid account?
Because LSC has a campus-wide license, all you need to do is go to the VidGrid login page, select the Enterprise Login link, then enter your StarID@minnstate.edu and password to access VidGrid. Students would use their StarID@go.minnstate.edu and their password. Please watch the VidGrid Login video for more step-by-step instructions.
How can I get help with VidGrid?
At Lake Superior College, watch for scheduled group training sessions or contact:
- Stacy Leno – faculty and staff support
- Jody Ondich – faculty support
- Amy Jo Swing – faculty support
Stacy’s created two Microsoft Sway presentations on Setting Up a VidGrid Recording in Erickson Library L172 (formerly E1048) and Recording and Editing Your VidGrid Videos to help you get started.
VidGrid Offers Online Support
When you’re logged into VidGrid you’ll see a conversation icon in the lower right-hand corner of the screen. Click this icon once and you’ll be given a list of individuals that are available to support you from VidGrid.
VidGrid also has video tutorials on how to use their product. When you’re logged in, you’ll see a Tutorials link on the upper right-hand corner of the screen. You can also visit their Help Center website and select How to Use VidGrid option.
Newer VidGrid Features
- Share Video with Editing Permissions – You can now share with specific individuals within LSC’s VidGrid account and give them permission to edit the video.
- Create Playlists – You can now create a playlist folder and place the videos in a specific playing order. You can use the playlist link or embed code to use in D2L, email messages, or the LSC website.
- D2L Integration Interface Refresh – When you embed a VidGrid video in the HTML Editor using Insert Stuff, the interface between the two products has updated to supply easier access to your videos as well as editing and recording them.
- Interactive Captions – You and your viewers will be able to search the captions for specific terms and, if you have editing permissions, make changes to the captions from the video viewer screen. The transcript file can also be downloaded by the viewer.
- After logging into VidGrid, if you click the Lake Superior College logo in the upper left corner, it will take you back to the My Grid screen.
- Chromebooks aren’t able to download the screen recorder.
- If you’re using the full screen recording option, the screen recorder controls will be in the video. Instead of using full screen, you could stretch the recording area to fit nearly the full screen but stopping just above where the video recorder controls are located.
- If you’re recording on a mobile device (phone, tablet, etc.), access VidGrid through your device’s web browser and download the recorder. Your recordings will automatically be uploaded to your VidGrid account.
- If your recording doesn’t upload to your VidGrid account properly, you can find a copy of the video in the computer’s Video folder and upload the file manually. VidGrid has a tutorial on Uploading Video/Audio Files.
- If you want to create a thumbnail for your video, the size should be at least 1280 pixels by 720 pixels, saved as either a JPG or PNG image file.