Chapter 3

“I asked Richard Nixon, “When you drive by Watergate, do you feel weird?”  This was a quote from Larry King on asking questions in interviews.  I chose to quote this for the obvious reason; it’s hilarious!  I wish I could have seen the look on President Nixon’s face when he was asked this question.  Awkward maybe?  Yeah probably.  But it was more than funny, it made me realize that not everybody “sugar coats” questions that they really want the answer to.  Now, I wish I was this brave.  But most likely,  I would have never asked him this question. 

The quote from chapter 3 that made me stop and think and think and think again though was from the story by Ursula Le Guin.  “But they seem to know where they are going, the ones who walk away from Omelas.”  Ok for those readers out there who has never read “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas,”  let me catch you up.  The story is about this seemingly “perfect” town where happiness is the norm.  There is no guilt, people are smiling all the time, and the town prospers.  But hidden in this town is a little child who is neglected and mistreated, and who has to stay this way in order for the town to prosper. 

After reading this story, the question kept crawling through my mind, “Is the good of the many, outway the good of the one.”  I thought I would have answered yes before I read this story, but now my mind is all in jumbles.  I can’t take it.  I can’t take that this little child does not get a chance at life.  And I know, I would be one of the ones who walk away from omelas.

Posted in: Uncategorized

Leave a Comment (0) ↓