The Graduate Speaks for Herself

My daughter, Kylie, graduated from high school over a month ago now. Since then, she’s already been to Europe and back, and right now is preparing to spend her first college semester atUniversidad de las Americas in Puebla, Mexico, departing two weeks from today. Needless, to say, I’m at a loss for words. For eighteen years, we’ve watched this person sprout, take root, grow, wither occasionally, and blossom often. We’re hardly done gardening, but this sure feels like some kind of monumental moment.

As I noted, I’m at a loss for words, and plan to grope for more soon, but for now, I’ll let her speak for herself. This is Kylie giving the sermon at Gloria Dei Lutheran church in Duluth, June 8, 2008. It’s about eight minutes.

sermon-kylie

This entry was posted in General Musings. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to The Graduate Speaks for Herself

1. Sarah says:

Wow. No one could have told her story better.

Please tell Kylie that I had a similar series of events at about the same time in my life, and since then it has only gotten better and better.

I’m most impressed that you are able to play bubble gum in the praise band. Do you time your “pop”s or just let them happen?

2. David says:

Very Moving! Thanks…

3. Jocelyn says:

I’m a complete puddle here.

I knew I loved that girl, but now…wow. I kind of want to marry and adopt her simultaneously. If my kids can grow up to be 1/3 of what Kylie is, I’ll consider them successes.