Hope for Pedestrians Everywhere!

My brother Karl sent me this interview with Enrique Peñalosa, former mayor of Bogota about redesigning our cities, and therefore our cultures.

Check it out.

This entry was posted in General Musings, Travel. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Hope for Pedestrians Everywhere!

1. Sarah says:

“What are the best-designed cities in the world? The best-designed cities are in northern Europe, like the Dutch and Danish cities.

As mayor of Bogotá, you reclaimed the sidewalks for pedestrians by banning sidewalk parking, your most famous achievement. The most famous and the most controversial. But we started by building bicycle paths, and now 5 percent of the population, more than 350,000 people, go to work by bicycle.”

Won’t it be great to finally feel like you’ll not get mowed down by a car if you’re not in one?

2. David says:

Fun to find this guy. I spent an hour tracking him through the web. He’s a professor, now, I guess…

3. david says:

I haven’t blogged for awhile, either, but…time for the Kylie-Graduation entry?

Don’t forget the “John Kelly, man or legend.” blog, too…

4. Jocelyn says:

My brother once sent me a Whitman’s Sampler. I was raised in the wrong family, clearly.

The point about sidewalks is tremendous. I don’t ever want to live in a place without them (unless, um, it’s the “sidewalk” that a country dirt road is…)

5. Sarah says:

One month ago today, the famed blogger Dalagest was so inspired by well-designed walking cities that he walked away from his blog never to be heard from again…