Post-Storm along Miller Creek

The snowshoeing mentioned in my last entry was postponed by a day due to Monopoly. We’re approaching 48 hours now that our street hasn’t been plowed, so with no one going anywhere, we hunkered down over the familiar board last night. Actually, we couldn’t find our game, so we borrowed Abrahamson’s 1957 edition. Pretty sweet.
Monopoly

Our neighbor Lisa – also snowed in – came over for her first Monopoly game. At age 29, a Monoploy virgin. Her comment as she slowly worked her way toward bankruptcy was, “This is so much like real life!” Like real life, Kylie won mostly by making sure at every turn that I didn’t win. This stems from a long history of family games where I have shown no mercy to my children. The school of hard knocks teaches some painful lessons, some of which come back to bite the teacher.

PristineI digress. I’m supposed to be writing about snowshoeing along Miller Creek.

This is what I was expecting – pristine stretches of drifted snow. I can no longer consider this “my woods,” though. At least one snowshoer and one back-country skiier beat me to it. You gotta be quick to snowshoe the virgin powder around here (second time with the v-word…what’s up with that?).
I started out with my trusty dog, Pepper, but the snow was too deep for the poor thing. She floundered for awhile, and then just sat there up to her chest and stared at me, so I turned around and brought her home.

TracksAs you can see, the other intruders kept mostly to the creek bottom.

BunnyThe rabbits and the deer were also leaving a few tracks. The next photo shows where the deer have been following each other, plowing through. It must be tough for them in these conditions.

deerMostly it was great to be out in the sun, the wind, and the dazzling white of the new snow. The only sounds were the wind, the soft shushing of my snowshoes, and the ambient sounds of the snowplows clearing the LSC parking lot.

tracksSuch is the urban wilderness. I left only my tracks, which by now have been joined by only a few others.

This entry was posted in General Musings. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Post-Storm along Miller Creek

1. David says:

Cool…I miss the snow. The AC’s on here…